globalblog

Sunday, November 19, 2006

SJSU Disability Expo 2006


Today I attended SJSU Disability Sport Expo 2006, and it made me think about how much we take our arms and legs for granted.
At first I participated in Boccia event. You had to throw balls and try to not make it pass the white ball. I kept throwing it underhand and the ball would roll further then the white ball. Later as I lost the event against my friend Karla, who made me see what the secret was and that was to throw it up and let it land on the ground so it would not roll so much. We learned that you had to throw the ball in order to not pass the white ball.

The second event that I joined was indoor soccer funny thing about this was that my friend and I at first thought this will be fun and easy since we both played soccer but we realized that we could not use our feet, we would be sitting on a wheelchair. It was hard to not lean back on the wheelchair and you must move with one hand, while holding the ball in the other hand. You would only get to catch the ball three times and after you would pass it to your team member. You would also have to move your wheelchair by pulling on the wheel three times and throw the ball or you lost. Of course our team won…yeah!

The third event, which I had a blast and out team won was sitting volleyball. In this event you could not use your feet, you must sit all times, you could move but you must have one butt cheek touching the ground. It reminded me when I used to play volleyball, but much harder and challenging versus when you stand you have control of your legs to move fast.

Finally, I was asked to try Goal Ball boy was this event challenging and needed a lot of concentration, and listening to the bells inside the ball. You would be blindfolded and could not pass the tape on the floor. You would throw the ball to the other side and try to make it pass through the players, like playing Red Robbin but you would see where you were going. I felt alone, not being able to see what was coming my way but to listen to the noise of the ball. It made me nervous and scared because I did not know what was happening or who was winning.

In the end I started to think, mostly on this last event how scared I was. I had to make my brain hear the ball coming towards my way or the other way. It would have to be a training process if I ever was to become blind and scary at the same time. I know now a little bit more what disabled people have to learn or what they feel when they feel helpless. Although, I feel that they are more appreciative of what they have and live life to the fullest we take for granted. I know now that disabled people should not be taken for granted and they still have a healthy life as we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home